In today’s episode, we speak with Esther Goldsmith, Sports and Exercise Physiologist at Orreco. Today’s conversation focuses on the benefits of tracking the menstrual cycle to optimize athletic performance.
Esther primarily works on the science and delivery of our Elite Female Athlete Program and FitrWoman™ and FitrCoach™ applications. She holds an MSc in Applied Sport and Exercise Physiology from St Mary’s University, Twickenham, and is a specialist on the female athlete. Prior to joining Orreco, she trained as an elite contemporary dancer, but is now a keen trail runner.
Please note that this podcast is created strictly for educational purposes and should never be used for medical diagnosis and treatment.
See you in the next episode!
- If you would like to work with Kyla, click here: https://nutritional-revolution.com/about/kyla-channell/
- To book a free 15 Minute Consultation with any of our practitioners, click here: https://nutritional-revolution.com/coaching/
- If you’re interested in sponsoring Nutritional Revolution Podcast, shoot us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Try out Factor 75 and get $120 off your first 5 boxes by clicking HERE
- Download the Fitrwoman App HERE
- Fitrwoman Website: www.fitrwoman.com
- Orreco Website: https://www.orreco.com/
- Perceived symptoms in professional athletes: Findlay RJ, Macrae EHR, Whyte IY, Easton C, Forrest Née Whyte LJ. How the menstrual cycle and menstruation affect sporting performance: experiences and perceptions of elite female rugby players. Br J Sports Med. 2020 Sep;54(18):1108-1113
- Nutrition & metabolism in the menstrual cycle: Oosthuyse T, Bosch AN. The effect of the menstrual cycle on exercise metabolism: implications for exercise performance in eumenorrhoeic women. Sports Med. 2010 Mar 1;40(3):207-27.
- Elevated inflammation in phase 4: Gaskins AJ, Wilchesky M, Mumford SL, Whitcomb BW, Browne RW, Wactawski-Wende J, Perkins NJ, Schisterman EF. Endogenous reproductive hormones and C-reactive protein across the menstrual cycle: the BioCycle Study. Am J Epidemiol. 2012 Mar 1;175(5):423-31.
- Most common menstrual cycle symptoms in STRAVA users: Bruinvels G, Goldsmith E, Blagrove R, Simpkin A, Lewis N, Morton K, Suppiah A, Rogers JP, Ackerman KE, Newell J, Pedlar C. Prevalence and frequency of menstrual cycle symptoms are associated with availability to train and compete: a study of 6812 exercising women recruited using the Strava exercise app. Br J Sports Med. 2021 Apr;55(8):438-443.
- Mid-luteal phase, temperature, breathing rate & running economy: Goldsmith E, Glaister M. The effect of the menstrual cycle on running economy. J Sports Med Phys Fitness. 2020 Apr;60(4):610-617.