In today’s episode, we speak with Renee Kiley about…
- Her transformation from smoking a pack of cigarettes a day to competing as a pro triathlete
- Her nutrition pre-race, race fueling strategy, and post-race recovery
In January 2014, I was 104kg (230lbs), smoking a packet of cigarettes a day and the owner of multiple successful small businesses. I was obsessed with work, unhealthy, unhappy, and hadn’t exercised for over 15 years.
In March 2014, I competed in my first triathlon. Prior to this I had not ridden a bike or swam since primary school and I had never run more than a few kilometers without stopping my entire life. During 2014 I lost 44kgs (97lbs) and completely turned my life around.
I have had incredible progression and one that is very unique in the world of professional sport. I finished 252nd in that first sprint distance triathlon. I went on to do my first Ironman in 2015 where I won my age group. As an amateur athlete between 2014 and 2017 I was a regular winner and podium finisher in my category across all distances from Sprint to Ironman.
In just my first two years in the sport I had already competed at the Ironman World Championships (Kona) twice.
In late 2017 I turned professional. In 2020 I achieved my first Ironman podium result as a pro, finishing 3rd at the Ironman Asia-Pacific Championships in Cairns. I finished 2nd at Ironman Hamburg in 2021 (just 2 minutes behind the winner), qualified and competed at both ironman World Championships in 2022 and rarely finish out of the Top 5 in any race locally or internationally.
I am doing what most people who work in high performance say should not be possible. Regularly beating women who have competed at Olympic level or who have been lifetime athletes.
I am committing everything to becoming one of the best female Iron distance athletes in the world. And along the way, of huge importance to me is to use my profile and story to inspire as many people as possible of how they can completely transform their life through sport.
Please note that this podcast is created strictly for educational purposes and should never be used for medical diagnosis and treatment.
- Menopause Support Meal Plan: nutritional-revolution.com/product/menopause-support-meal-plan/
- Sports Nutrition Mini-Course Bundle: nutritional-revolution.com/product/sports-nutrition-webinars-bundle/
- 4 Week Real Food, Real Quick Meal Plan: nutritional-revolution.com/product/4-week-real-food-real-quick-program/
- Renee Kiley
- Sports Nutrition
- Gobble Meal Plan: www.gobble.com/