In this week’s episode, we talk to researcher Ida Heikura about:
- The International Olympic Committee’s new Clinical Assessment Tool (version 2) for REDs
- What is REDs (Relative Energy Deficiency in Sport)
- What is OTS (Overtraining Syndrome)
- Risk factors & signs for each
Ida Heikura has worked the last three years as a postdoctoral research fellow at Canadian Sport Institute Pacific and University of Victoria (B.C., Canada). Ida is originally from Finland and completed her PhD in 2020 at Australian Catholic University. Over the past 3 years, Ida’s research has explored the prevalence, symptoms and assessment of Relative Energy Deficiency in Sport (REDs) in Canadian and international high-performance athletes. This work has contributed to the new REDs Clinical Assessment Tool version 2 (REDs CAT2) which was recently published by the International Olympic Committee expert group, along with several other REDs themed publications. Ida has also had the privilege to be a member of Own the Podium sponsored working group on REDs in Canada and the IOC REDs consensus group.
Please note that this podcast is created strictly for educational purposes and should never be used for medical diagnosis and treatment.
- 1 Week Real Food, Real Quick Plan: https://nutritional-revolution.com/product/1-week-real-food-real-quick-meal-plan/
- Low Energy Availability Bundle: https://nutritional-revolution.com/product/low-energy-availability-lea-bundle/
- Use code NRPOD10 for 10% these or any products!
- Follow Ida Heikura’s work
- British Journal of Sports Medicine: https://bjsm.bmj.com/content/57/17/1109
- IOC’s CAT2 Tools
- Consensus Statement: https://stillmed.olympics.com/media/Documents/Athletes/Medical-Scientific/Consensus-Statements/REDs/IOC-REDs-CAT-V2.pdf
- REDs CAT2 Handout & Calculator
- New customers save 10% off all products on our website with the code NEWPOD10
- If you would like to work with our practitioners, click here: https://nutritional-revolution.com/work-with-us/
- Save 20% on all supplements at our trusted online source: https://us.fullscript.com/welcome/kchannell
- Join Nutritional Revolution’s The Feed Club to get $20 off right away with an additional $20 Feed credit drop every 90 days.: https://thefeed.com/teams/nutritional-revolution
- Interested in blood testing? Use code NUTRITIONALREVOLUTION at InsideTracker for 20% off any test: store.insidetracker.com/nutritionalrevolution
- If you’re interested in sponsoring Nutritional Revolution Podcast, shoot us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.